Thursday, May 12, 2011

Behind the Wheel

Well, it is that "time" again.  The time that I have a teenager that is ready, or so he thinks, for behind the wheel.  Bailey is 15 and will be 16 in November and has passed that 15 1/2 mark where he knows that legally he is ready to start the process for his learner's permit.

Mentally and responsibly I think are in need of improvement.  Don't get me wrong, he has his head on almost straight, it is a little crooked and that is what allows him to use bad judgement from time to time.  He knows when he is and has done wrong, I just need to get him to the point where he realizes it is wrong BEFORE he does it and then responsibly decides that is it not a good idea and not worth getting into trouble.

I explained to him over lunch that getting your permit and ultimately your license is a privileged which needs to be earned. I need him to show me that he is ready and that he can handle this responsibility and not screw it up.  Dad has explained that giving him the keys to a car is like handing him a loaded weapon.  Cars can be dangerous if the people that are in control of it are not acting responsibly.  Two of my boys understand this first hand.  Dakota's friends were hit by a car on Halloween a few years back and Bailey's best friend Kayle was hit by a car in March and died of his injuries.  They know this is serious, but I need to know that Bailey is not just telling me what he wants to hear.

I was close to putting this to the back of my mind for the time being and focusing on other stress triggering items and then AAA went and sent me an email, "Equip your teen with essential driving skills!"  Thank you AAA.

Going through this process with Dakota was easy because he was willing to wait until he was 18 to get his license and so we did not have to do the behind the wheel, which ultimately screwed him on his insurance and I regret that, however he was mature and had his head on straight and was ready.

Bailey I think needs to get to that place and then we will see.  I will start to look for the driving schools and quite possibly through AAA this time that way if we add him to our insurance they will offer us a discount.

This people, is why I drink wine DAILY!  Well not the only reason, but that is my story and I am sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment